DoF - a Robotiq Community
Warning sign
The Dof Community was shut down in June 2023. This is a read-only archive.
If you have questions about Robotiq products please reach our support team.
tyty

RTDE will need to be ran in a daemon which your URCap starts up. Then you can just use the python libraries and examples that UR uses. This is really not something you use in a URCap directly unless all you are trying to do is capture poses to use to build the script from. It’s mainly used for control and recording data while the system is running.

Even to use it to capture data you would need to have a server running. You could do this in Java, it’s all controlled through a TCP/IP server instance. Your best bet is to look up TCP/IP client server communications in Java. The other thing you could do if all you want is to record data to convert to script is listen to port 30001 and decode the streaming positional data from that port. This might be easier to do from Java. 

What is your use case?
Hi,

I'm currently working on rtde for just path recording. What I need now is just capturing the relevant informaton (position, rotation...) as you described above. I have installed ur_rtde but don't know how to use it... Thank you for your help in advance!

ty

vlad

Hello bcastets

Thanks for providing me the link and the info. I have read them but honestly I am still far away of understanding how it works. What I saw there is that there are some libraries which can be used in a Python or C++ app. This is very nice but I cannot understand how this files can be handled in Java which is the URCap language. The URCap example from the documentation from the link is just used to set the IP and the port for the PC which is doing the commands. I would like to do the commands from the URCap. 
Maybe you can explain to me how RTDE works step by step and then I can handle this steps in Java. 

Thank you in advance!

vlad

Hello bcastets

Thanks for providing me the link and the info. I have read them but honestly I am still far away of understanding how it works. What I saw there is that there are some libraries which can be used in a Python or C++ app. This is very nice but I cannot understand how this files can be handled in Java which is the URCap language. The URCap example from the documentation from the link is just used to set the IP and the port for the PC which is doing the commands. I would like to do the commands from the URCap. 
Maybe you can explain to me how RTDE works step by step and then I can handle this steps in Java. 

Thank you in advance!