DoF - a Robotiq Community
Warning sign
The Dof Community was shut down in June 2023. This is a read-only archive.
If you have questions about Robotiq products please reach our support team.
matthewd92

This function allows you to easily change the speed of the running robot by changing the current value of the speed slider programmatically.

def runSlow(speed):

if speed == 0:
  speed = 0.001
end
socket_open("127.0.0.1",30003)
socket_send_string("set speed")
socket_send_string(speed)
socket_send_byte(10)
socket_close()

end

This function takes a float between 0 and 1 as an argument, one thing to note is if you actually send 0 it pauses the program but I have not found a way to easily recover from this so I am using the if statement to verify that the speed is not 0, if so it sets it to 0.001 which basically stops motion but allows the robot program to continue to run.

Usage in a program would be

runSlow(0.2)

Another example is how to have a popup message that only has an OK button and is non-blocking, this allows you to have informational messages that do not stop the program execution and that the operator cannot stop program execution from either.  An example of where we use this is during programs that have a long start-up time during the before start portion of the program. We will pop up a message to tell the user that the program is in the process of starting so that they don't hit the play button repeatedly.

def infoPopup(msg):

socket_open("127.0.0.1", 29999, "popup")
socket_send_string("popup ", "popup")
socket_send_string(msg, "popup")
socket_send_byte(10, "popup")
socket_close("popup")

end

The way that you would use this is 

infoPopup("Some Message Here")

One last one is to programmatically close the popup, now, the caveat to this is it will close ANY open popup, it actually doesn't know what it is closing, just that popups will be closed.  So you want to make sure you are only using this when there is no chance that you are closing something that should be blocking operation, user be warned.

def closeInfoPopup():

socket_open("127.0.0.1", 29999, "close")
socket_send_string("close popup", "close")
socket_send_byte(10, "close")
socket_close("close")

end

Simply use it by calling the function in your program

closeInfoPopup()

matthewd92
Jose

Thanks for your reply.

Jstewart

This function allows you to easily change the speed of the running robot by changing the current value of the speed slider programmatically.
def runSlow(speed):

if speed == 0:
  speed = 0.001
end
socket_send_byte(10)
socket_close()

end

This function takes a float between 0 and 1 as an argument, one thing to note is if you actually send 0 it pauses the program but I have not found a way to easily recover from this so I am using the if statement to verify that the speed is not 0, if so it sets it to 0.001 which basically stops motion but allows the robot program to continue to run.

runSlow(0.2)

@matthewd92 Is it normal for this to lag when changing the speed? I noticed that whenever i set my waypoints and set the speeds right before them.

matthewd92

Here is something that we get asked about a lot, which is creating planes in URScript.  One word of caution, these calculations result in a plane that is configured with the first point as the origin, +Y axis defined by the second point and the +X axis defined by the third point, this is not the same way that UR calculates planes in current polyscope (newer than 3.7 or e-series) but we still use it everyday in production environments.  We did not develop this code so I will not take credit for it but it has been thoroughly tested and used by us and works as expected.

#**
# @api global_plane_finder(p1,p2,p3) global_plane_finder
# @apiGroup Private Scripts
# @apiName global_plane_finder
# @apiDescription This method is used to calculate the plane on which the welds have to be made.
#*

def global_plane_finder(p1, p2, p3):
  V12 = [p2[0] - p1[0], p2[1] - p1[1], p2[2] - p1[2]]
  V13 = [p3[0] - p1[0], p3[1] - p1[1], p3[2] - p1[2]]
  VZ = mycross(V12, V13)
  Tmat = pose2Tmat(p1)
  VZofp1 = [Tmat[2], Tmat[6], Tmat[10]]
  value = mydot(VZ, VZofp1)
  if (value < -0.00001):
    VZ = mycross(V13, V12)
  end
  VZ = myunitised(VZ)
  VY = myunitised(V12)
  VX = mycross(VY, VZ)
  output = [VX[0], VY[0], VZ[0], p1[0], VX[1], VY[1],
  VZ[1], p1[1], VX[2], VY[2], VZ[2], p1[2], 0, 0, 0, 1]
  local pose = Tmat2pose(output)
  return pose
end

def mycross(a, b):
  output = [0, 0, 0]
  output[0] = a[1] * b[2] - a[2] * b[1]
  output[1] = a[2] * b[0] - a[0] * b[2]
  output[2] = a[0] * b[1] - a[1] * b[0]
  return output
end

def Tmat2pose(Tmat):
  output = p[0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
  output[0] = Tmat[3]
  output[1] = Tmat[7]
  output[2] = Tmat[11]
  sy = mynorm([Tmat[0], Tmat[4], 0])
  if (sy > 0.00001):
    x = atan2(Tmat[9], Tmat[10])
    y = atan2(- Tmat[8], sy)
    z = atan2(Tmat[4], Tmat[0])
  else:
    x = atan2(- Tmat[6], Tmat[5])
    y = atan2(- Tmat[8], sy)
    z = 0
  end
  rotvec = rpy2rotvec([x, y, z])
  output[3] = rotvec[0]
  output[4] = rotvec[1]
  output[5] = rotvec[2]
  return output
end

def pose2Tmat(pose):
  if (pose[3]) == 0 and (pose[4] == 0) and (pose[5] == (0)):
    Rmat = [1, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1]
  else:
    x = pose[3]
    y = pose[4]
    z = pose[5]
    ang = mynorm([x, y, z])
    x = x/ang
    y = y/ang
    z = z/ang
    s = sin(ang)
    c = cos(ang)
    t = 1 - c
    Rmat = [c + (t * x * x), (t * x * y) - (s * z), (t * x * z) + (s * y), (t * x * y) + (s * z),
    c + (t * y * y), (t * y * z) - (s * x), (t * x * z) - (s * y), (t * y * z) + (s * x), c + (t * z * z)]
  end
  Tmat = [Rmat[0], Rmat[1], Rmat[2], pose[0], Rmat[3], Rmat[4],
  Rmat[5], pose[1], Rmat[6], Rmat[7], Rmat[8], pose[2]]
  return Tmat
end

def mynorm(a):
  base = sqrt(a[0] * a[0] + a[1] * a[1] + a[2] * a[2])
  return base
end

def myunitised(a):
  output = [0, 0, 0]
  base = mynorm(a)
  output[0] = a[0] / base
  output[1] = a[1] / base
  output[2] = a[2] / base
  return output
end

def mydot(a, b):
  output = a[0] * b[0] + a[1] * b[1] + a[2] * b[2]
  return output
end

matthewd92

Jstewart said:
def runSlow(speed):

if speed == 0:
  speed = 0.001
end
socket_send_byte(10)
socket_close()

end

runSlow(0.2)

@matthewd92 Is it normal for this to lag when changing the speed? I noticed that whenever i set my waypoints and set the speeds right before them.

Yes, there can be a lag between issuing the command and the speed slider being adjusted, it is usually very small but I have seen it have as much as 1/2 second or so lag.  We use this primarily at the start of a program for instance when we are debugging to make sure that it runs slow, allows us to move the speed slider back to 100% when we use the move screen but not have to worry that we might start a buggy program at speed.

We have also used in before in conjunction with a laser scanner, instead of putting the robot in a safeguard stop when someone entered the cell, we placed the robot in reduced mode and then fired a set speed command to chop the speed slider to 1%, this effectively "stops" the robot, its still moving but extremely slowly.  This was so the program could continue to run even when someone walked by so that we could monitor the machines in the cell and catch their completion status as it was only broadcast once and missing it meant we never knew the machines finished.  We no longer follow this practice but rather wire machines like that up to other systems that can catch those signals such as a PLC and then the robot communicates with the PLC to get the information it is looking for.