Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
JeanPhilippe_JobinJeanPhilippe_Jobin Posts: 44Beta Tester VIsion 1.1 Program Handy

Hi everyone,

You probably have seen our sneak peek video on plug+play vision system for UR last week.

Now see more of the teaching interface in our exclusive official video for the Camera Kit for Universal Robots. This video will be released on June 21, so don’t share it outside of DoF!

Keep a look out for our public launch on June 21, 2016.

Enjoy!

Jean-Philippe Jobin
Eng., M.Sc. / ing., M.Sc.
Chief Technical Officer / V.P. R&D 

Comments

• Fabio_FacchinettiFabio_Facchinetti Posts: 14Partner, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers, Beta Tester Multi Gripper Apprentice
    Looks great! Ur-Baxter is coming!! Compliments. I'm very curious to see interface
  • Kaleb_RodesKaleb_Rodes Posts: 42Founding Pro, Partner, Beta Tester VIsion 1.1 Program, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers, Beta Tester Camera URCap 1.2.0-beta Handy
    @JeanPhilippe_Jobin Does the camera recognize the parts in a random order for the robot to pick? Or is there a way to set which part gets picked up first, second, etc.?
    Kaleb Rodes
    Applications Engineer
    Behco-MRM
  • Samuel_BouchardSamuel_Bouchard Posts: 141 Handy
    facchifunk you'll have the chance to see it first hand next week.

@Kaleb_Rodes the robot decides which parts to pick next. The one being picked is the one which matches the best the pattern taught in the vision algorithm. Makes sense?

CEO & Co-Founder @ Robotiq

samuel@robotiq.com
  • Kaleb_RodesKaleb_Rodes Posts: 42Founding Pro, Partner, Beta Tester VIsion 1.1 Program, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers, Beta Tester Camera URCap 1.2.0-beta Handy
    @Samuel_Bouchard Yes, so a best fit scenario. Thanks!
    Kaleb Rodes
    Applications Engineer
    Behco-MRM
  • Fabio_FacchinettiFabio_Facchinetti Posts: 14Partner, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers, Beta Tester Multi Gripper Apprentice
    What about if some part to be picked are overlapped or are in touch?
  • Nicolas_LauzierNicolas_Lauzier Posts: 24Beta Tester VIsion 1.1 Program Crew
    What about if some part to be picked are overlapped or are in touch?
    The calibration works in a plane so any overlapped object will be seen with some imprecision (especially in height). We do not recommend this use case.

If objects are in touch (no overlap), they will be detected correctly. However, we do not check if the grip position is valid and as such it is not a scenario that we recommend for now. In the case of a grip position on the object which cannot produce collision (with the gripper or robot), this would work fine.

Nicolas Lauzier, Eng., PhD
    R&D Director
    nicolas@robotiq.com

• EnricEnric Posts: 79Founding Pro, Partner, Beta Tester VIsion 1.1 Program, Beta Tester Multi Gripper, Beta Tester Camera URCap 1.2.0-beta Handy
    He is cool. I want to try it! :)
    Enric Vila Avila
    Vicosystems S.L.L.
    Industrial Collaborative Systems

evila@vicosystems.com

twitter  linkedIn  YouTube  Google
  • Samuel_BouchardSamuel_Bouchard Posts: 141 Handy
    @Enric you'll be among the first to get one! Thank you again for arranging the feedback interviews with your customers, you contributed to this product! 

CEO & Co-Founder @ Robotiq

samuel@robotiq.com
  • matthewd92matthewd92 Posts: 508Founding Pro, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers Handy
    Looking forward to seeing this first hand next week.  How quickly does it recognize the part?  We have a potential couple of applications coming up where this could be very useful
  • Nicolas_HardyNicolas_Hardy Posts: 10 Apprentice
    edited June 2016
    Hi Matt,

A typical wait time would be 0.5 to 1 sec (worst case scenario), but it varies depending on your part features and background. Could you tell us a bit more about the parts or send a picture?
    Nicolas Hardy
    Application Engineer
    nicolas.hardy@robotiq.com
  • markus_rothtechnikmarkus_rothtechnik Posts: 15Founding Pro, Partner Handy
    Now that you got the 2d world covered, go on and develop a low cost 3D plug and play wrist camera for real 3d bin picking :-)
    sort of like this one: http://www.pickit3d.com but only better and cheaper :-)

• JeanPhilippe_JobinJeanPhilippe_Jobin Posts: 44Beta Tester VIsion 1.1 Program Handy
    @markus_rothtechnik
    • Did you ever get the chance to try this pickit solution? Any comments? What do you mean by "better"?
    • What do you personally consider the big challenges for bin picking?
    Jean-Philippe Jobin
    I think It will be good to have a documents with sw functionality or, better, a manual. Is there something available right now? We are placing some offer right now and customer are asking different questions...
  • Karine_SimardKarine_Simard Posts: 32 Handy
    @facchifunk we are working on it! In the mean time, you can get the spec sheet here: http://robotiq.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/specsheet-camera-EN-June2016-final.pdf

Karine Simard
    Proud member of the DoF Crew
    Director of Marketing
    Robotiq
    k.simard@robotiq.com

@JeanPhilippe_Jobin
    yes i did, and they were also at automatica last week. Better means better resolution, better price, better accuracy. Interface, ease of use is great with pick it. However 14000 euros are not that great. 
    Greatest challenge for bin picking is probably object detection algorythm , light conditions, and the options available for object/surface/target detection, filtering, "make good use" of the point cloud data the cam delivers. This requires some serious calculation power especiall w high res. And of course plug and play integration with the robot is key. Pick it is great, but i think the prices of 3d cam kits will drop and resolution and functionalit will increase seriously in the future. Or at least i hope.
    Question: can i use the camera with two robotiq grippers on one ur bot? Of course i would have to make an adapter to connect them all correctly to the bus but would it technically be possible and supported by robotiq?
    i have a great idea for making a universal gripper witj object detection for an injection moulding machine. If it works it would be fantastic since my customer would not need 10 different magazines for his inlay parts but only a flat surface where the vam can locate them on. Thank you for feedback and possibly instrucrions on how to equip a UR with two grippers and a cam.
  • Etienne_SamsonEtienne_Samson Posts: 366 Handy
    @facchifunk complete documentation on the vision system will be available on the first week of august, or before.

Right now I updated the support website and you have a page with CAD files and preliminary spec sheet. More to come in July !

http://support.robotiq.com/display/Home/Vision+System
    Etienne Samson
    Technical Support Director
    +01 418-380-2788 ext. 207
    esamson@robotiq.com
  • JeanPhilippe_JobinJeanPhilippe_Jobin Posts: 44Beta Tester VIsion 1.1 Program Handy
    @markus_rothtechnik
    Thanks for the precisions/comments on pickit3d.

About the use of multi-grippers with Robotiq Camera, it was not design for this but it would work. But please note that:
    • Each gripper shall be cabled with original 2F cable (would not work with camera cable)
    • The grippers shall not be seen by the camera. I suggest a "Y" or a "T" configuration.
    • Grippers shall be programmed using multi-grippers beta drivers (since 2F gripper URCaps does not support multi-grippers yet)
    Jean-Philippe Jobin
  • Etienne_SamsonEtienne_Samson Posts: 366 Handy
    @markus_rothtechnik if you want to use the multi-gripper beta driver that JP as mentionned go see my post in this : http://dof.robotiq.com/discussion/134/integration-2-grippers-a-1-ur-robot
    Etienne Samson
    Technical Support Director
    +01 418-380-2788 ext. 207
    esamson@robotiq.com
    Great thanks! That was great help and great news.
    Any general time schedule when the ur+(Caps) sw package will support multiple grippers?
    @markus_rothtechnik

Unfortunately we don't have a clear schedule for this functionality, but hopefully before 2017. 
    Jean-Philippe Jobin