Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
wstgermawstgerma Posts: 3Unconfirmed Apprentice

Hi,

Is it possible to save a variable on a USB key or file in the UR5 while a program is running? In another words, log data on external USB key while the program is running? 

Thank you!

Will

Comments

• matthewd92matthewd92 Posts: 931Founding Pro, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers Handy
    I do not know if a way to do this directly from the touch pendant.  UR does offer many tools though that would allow you to develop an app to do just that.  They are streaming all of the data including the variable names and values off of port 30001.  You could create a python program that listens for the stream, decodes the variables and then writes the name and value to a USB stick.  There is a library here that you can use for decoding the data.  https://github.com/SintefManufacturing/python-urx

Have you done a preliminary search on the internet or here on DOF to see if anyone has developed anything like that?
  • wstgermawstgerma Posts: 3Unconfirmed Apprentice
    Yes I have, but did not find much. Basically, I am trying to see if there is a way to log my variables in the robot without an external program. I like to have them in the robot  but independent of the program. This way if the program is restarted I do not loose all of them. This could be either on a usb key or in the robot files itself.

Thanks for your help!
  • matthewd92matthewd92 Posts: 931Founding Pro, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers Handy
    Create installation variables, they are persisted to disk and can be used across multiple programs. You have to create the variable in the installation file before you can use it in the program. It will always keep the last value written to it. Remember this if you need to initialize variables at the start of the program. 
  • wstgermawstgerma Posts: 3Unconfirmed Apprentice
    Installation variables can only keep the last value. I am looking into keeping all the values for some variables overtime. This is to have a feedback right away at the pendant or accessible from a USB key. Thanks again!
  • David_GouffeDavid_Gouffe Posts: 46Vacuum Beta tester Handy
    Hi, 

I believe you are looking for something like this: " https://dof.robotiq.com/discussion/724/data-logging-from-a-ur-program-to-an-external-pc " 

It will not be possible to reuse it in the robot but you will have the data on a side computer instead of on the robot or a USB key. 

Have a good data logging with this software example from Robotiq. 

Regards, 

David Gouffé
    Integration Coach
    Coach en intégration

Robotiq is now into packaging, palletizing and sanding applications. Learn more about our new Vacuum Grippers and the Robotiq Sanding Kit.

1-888-ROBOTIQ #275 (762-6847)
    1-418-380-2788 #275 (Outside US and Canada)
    1-418-655-9221 (Cell)

Follow us on

facbook-iconepng linkedin-iconepng twitter-iconepng google-iconepng Youtube-iconepng

Visit us:  
    What are the variable type that you are trying to store? We have done some stuff in the program to store the last 20 -30 instances of a variable but it only works for booleans, numbers or poses, not strings.