DoF - a Robotiq Community
Warning sign
The Dof Community was shut down in June 2023. This is a read-only archive.
If you have questions about Robotiq products please reach our support team.
Ahmed

Hello,

for my application i need to interface a CNC like controller (providing step/dir signals on 3 axis) with a UR10e => the intention is that the controller can drive the UR movements, direction and speed to make sure there is no latency between the CNC controller and the robot am, the application is close to laser engraving.

the controller cant be changed  and it is not driven by gcode, the only signals i have are step/dir per axis.

what i tried so far is using 1 Step square wave as input to the robot encoder i can retrieve the counter incrementing each time the CNC controller generates the step square wave.

So i thought i ll be using the conveyor tracking function to sync the movements but it didn't work so far  => the CNC controller actually depending on the engraving can move and stop frequently waiting for the laser to finish engraving then continues the movement along the path , which the conveyor tracking function wont do, the robot when am testing just continues on its path  to reach the requested waypoint .

am asking if someone of you had a similar problem or any ideas how i should proceed ?

Solution i can think of are :smile:
- convert the step signal square wave to a constant dc voltage and the program would be ( if DIx==True, Move robot along Direction) but i loose speed ramping like a cnc table would move.
- use the encoder_get_tick_count  in a thread and hopefully be able to get the distance and the speed required but as i am testing with my current prog the robot movement is always delayed or not in sync

Hopefully someone will actually read this and thank you for your time and effort to try and help me.