DoF - a Robotiq Community
Warning sign
The Dof Community was shut down in June 2023. This is a read-only archive.
If you have questions about Robotiq products please reach our support team.
carlosjoserg

Hi @antbiv

So far, I haven't seen any custom implementation of the 2 Finger Gripper in Gazebo, and moreover, in the ROS-i repos, I couldn't find and URDF of the new gripper model 2f-85. So I created one that you can find it in our fork&branch: https://github.com/beta-robots/robotiq/tree/new_2_finger_models/robotiq_2f_model   (The idea is to contribute it back to the ROS-i repos after I test it more).

If you don't need the adaptivity-mode of the gripper in simulation (which is not easy, btw), then you can use the
gazebo_ros_control plugin. The plugin works better with one single instance of an URDF. So my suggestion is for you to assembly one single URDF with UR5+Robotiq 2F-85, and then add the plugin to that. Something like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<robot xmlns:xacro="http://ros.org/wiki/xacro" name="assembled_robot">

<!-- THE ROBOT -->
	<link name="world" />

<!-- UR from ROS-i repos -->
	<xacro:include filename="$(find ur_description)/urdf/ur10.urdf.xacro" />
	<joint name="world_joint" type="fixed">
		<parent link="world" />
		<child link = "simple_arm_base_link" />
		<origin xyz="0.0 0.0 0.0" rpy="0.0 0.0 0.0" />
	</joint>
	<xacro:ur10_robot prefix="simple_arm_" joint_limited="false" precise_collision="false"/>

<!-- Robotiq from Beta Robots fork-->
	<xacro:include filename="$(find robotiq_2f_model)/model/robotiq_2f_85.urdf.xacro" />
	<xacro:robotiq_2f_85 name="simple_gripper" parent="simple_arm_tool0" precise_collision="false" adaptive_transmission="false">
		<origin xyz="0 0 0" rpy="0 0 1.5708" />
	</xacro:robotiq_2f_85>

<!-- Plugin -->
	<plugin name="ros_control" filename="libgazebo_ros_control.so" />

</robot>

Then you need to configure, load and start any compatible ros-controller, as you'd normally do with a real robot or UR5 you say you have. If you need further details on how to do that, let me know.

Best,
Carlos

carlosjoserg

Hi @Wonchul

Let me try to answer point by point.

When i attached precise_collision="false" like the below:
  <xacro:ur3_robot prefix="" joint_limited="false" precise_collision="false" />
Invalid parameter "precise_collision"
XacroException('Invalid parameter "precise_collision"',)
The
universal robot package in ros-industrial does not have this parameter. I added it because I think that the geometry of these robots can be fairly well approximated using cylinders, which increases considerably the speed for collision checking within motion planning, instead of the convex hull of the real mesh. I did this for the UR10 model only though, because it is the one I was using, you can check what this parameter does within the URDF model here.

Anyway, you can omit this parameter, if time for motion planning is not an issue for you.

<xacro:robotiq_2f_85 name="simple_gripper" parent="simple_arm_tool0" precise_collision="false" adaptive_transmission="false">
I got error about 'can't find simple_arm_tool0'
The parent depends on what name you used in the ur3_robot prefix parameter. That link exist in the UR3 model, as you can see here.

[ERROR] [1502413570.173243633, 0.306000000]: This robot has a joint named "simple_gripper_right_driver_joint" which is not in the gazebo model.
[FATAL] [1502413570.174087383, 0.306000000]: Could not initialize robot simulation interface
Now that looks like an issue. Is there any place where I can see you launch file completely? Are you spawning the assembled URDF into gazebo? You need to have something like this for instance (note that in this line, the URDF loaded in the robot_description parameter is converted to SDF on-the-fly and pushed to the gazebo world)
<node name="spawn_urdf" pkg="gazebo_ros" type="spawn_model" args="-param robot_description -urdf -model $(arg robot_name)"  respawn="false" output="screen" />

Wonchul

Thank you for your reply!!!

Since i am real beginner of ROS, I just downloaded your codes(universal robots and robotiq) and tried 'catkin_make'.

However, I got this error:
-- ==> add_subdirectory(robotiq_85_gripper-master/robotiq_85_moveit_config)
CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
MODBUS_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
   used as include directory in directory /home/icsl/catkin_ws/src/robotiq-new_2_finger_models/robotiq_2f_hw_usb
   used as include directory in directory /home/icsl/catkin_ws/src/robotiq-new_2_finger_models/robotiq_2f_hw_usb
MODBUS_LIBRARIES (ADVANCED)
    linked by target "robotiq_2f_hw_usb_node" in directory /home/icsl/catkin_ws/src/robotiq-new_2_finger_models/robotiq_2f_hw_usb

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/icsl/catkin_ws/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/icsl/catkin_ws/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
Makefile:6954: recipe for target 'cmake_check_build_system' failed
make: *** [cmake_check_build_system] Error 1
Invoking "make cmake_check_build_system" failed
icsl@icsl:~/catkin_ws$

carofide
Wonchul

Thank you!@carlosjoserg
I could compile successfully.

I have one more question.

In robotiq-new-2-finger-models which carlosjoserg shared in github,
there is c, c2, and s_model.... what is difference?????

Also, could you share any example such as how to control the gripper?

an_10

Hi @carlosjoserg, my repo is not public. But I can share details here.
The launch file currently looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<launch>

<arg name="gazebo" default="true"/>
      <arg name="limited" default="false"/>
      <arg name="paused" default="false"/>
      <arg name="gui" default="true"/>
      <arg name="use_sim_time" default="true"/>
      <arg name="load_robot_description" default="true"/>

<param if="$(arg load_robot_description)" name="robot_description"
      command="$(find xacro)/xacro --inorder $(find bin_clearing_simulation_ur)/urdf/ur_test.urdf "/>
        <include file="$(find gazebo_ros)/launch/empty_world.launch">
            <arg name="world_name" value="worlds/empty.world"/>
            <arg name="gui" value="true"/>
            <arg name="paused" value="$(arg paused)"/>
            <arg name="use_sim_time" value="$(arg use_sim_time)"/>
          </include>

<node name="spawn_gazebo_model" pkg="gazebo_ros" type="spawn_model" args="-urdf -param 'robot_description' -model robot -z 0.1" respawn="false" output="screen" />
      <include file="$(find ur_gazebo)/launch/controller_utils.launch"/>

<rosparam ns="/robot" file="$(find ur_gazebo)/controller/arm_controller_ur10.yaml" command="load"/>
      <node pkg="robot_state_publisher" type="state_publisher" name="robotiq_hands_l_hand_robot_state_publisher"><param name="publish_frequency" type="double" value="50.0"/><remap from="joint_states" to="/robotiq_hands/left_hand/joint_states"/></node>

<node name="controller_spawner" pkg="controller_manager" type="spawner" respawn="false"
    output="screen" ns="/robot" args="arm_controller"/>

</launch>

--------------------------------------------------ur_test.urdf----------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<robot xmlns:xacro="http://ros.org/wiki/xacro" name="assembled_robot">

<!-- THE ROBOT -->
    <link name="world" />

<xacro:include filename="$(find ur_description)/urdf/ur10.urdf.xacro" />
        <parent link="world" />
        <child link = "base_link" />
    </joint>
    <xacro:ur10_robot prefix="" joint_limited="false" />

<xacro:include filename="$(find robotiq_s_model_visualization)/cfg/robotiq_hand_macro.urdf.xacro" />
    <xacro:robotiq_hand prefix="simple_gripper" parent="tool0" reflect="" >
        <origin xyz="0 0 0" rpy="${pi/2} 0 0" />
    </xacro:robotiq_hand>

<!-- Plugin -->
    <gazebo>
      <plugin name="gazebo_ros_control" filename="libgazebo_ros_control.so">
        <robotNamespace>/robot</robotNamespace>
      </plugin>
    </gazebo>

</robot>
-----------------------------------------------------
rosservice list | grep controller_manager on terminal gives me this:
/robot/controller_manager/list_controller_types
/robot/controller_manager/list_controllers
/robot/controller_manager/load_controller
/robot/controller_manager/reload_controller_libraries
/robot/controller_manager/switch_controller
/robot/controller_manager/unload_controller

-----------------------------------------------------------
So my arm controller has topic /robot/arm_controller/command, which is subscribed by gazebo. But for the robotiq gripper  /robotiq_hands/left_hand/joint_states this topic is not subscibed by gazebo. Main issue is how to control the gripper?

philwall3

So I got the same error as @Wonchul in post #4.
I'm trying to spawn the UR5 with the 85 robotiq_2f_gripper in gazebo.

phil@phil-VirtualBox:~$ roslaunch myrobot_gazebo myrobot.launch
... logging to /home/phil/.ros/log/803f8d72-c09b-11e7-97bf-080027c0668a/roslaunch-phil-VirtualBox-8299.log
Checking log directory for disk usage. This may take awhile.
Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Done checking log file disk usage. Usage is <1GB.

started roslaunch server http://phil-VirtualBox:36158/

SUMMARY
========

PARAMETERS
 * /robot_description: <?xml version="1....
 * /rosdistro: indigo
 * /rosversion: 1.11.21
 * /use_sim_time: True

NODES
  /
    gazebo (gazebo_ros/gzserver)
    gazebo_gui (gazebo_ros/gzclient)
    spawn_urdf (gazebo_ros/spawn_model)

auto-starting new master
process[master]: started with pid [8314]
ROS_MASTER_URI=http://localhost:11311

setting /run_id to 803f8d72-c09b-11e7-97bf-080027c0668a
process[rosout-1]: started with pid [8327]
started core service [/rosout]
process[gazebo-2]: started with pid [8337]
process[gazebo_gui-3]: started with pid [8346]
process[spawn_urdf-4]: started with pid [8349]
Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 2.2.3
Copyright (C) 2012-2014 Open Source Robotics Foundation.
Released under the Apache 2 License.
http://gazebosim.org

Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 2.2.3
Copyright (C) 2012-2014 Open Source Robotics Foundation.
Released under the Apache 2 License.
http://gazebosim.org

Msg Waiting for master.[ INFO] [1509715977.477475783]: Finished loading Gazebo ROS API Plugin.
Msg Waiting for master
[ INFO] [1509715977.479278547]: waitForService: Service [/gazebo/set_physics_properties] has not been advertised, waiting...
Msg Connected to gazebo master @ http://127.0.0.1:11345
Msg Publicized address: 10.0.2.15
spawn_model script started
[ INFO] [1509715977.851876552, 0.023000000]: waitForService: Service [/gazebo/set_physics_properties] is now available.
[INFO] [WallTime: 1509715977.864693] [0.000000] Loading model xml from ros parameter
[INFO] [WallTime: 1509715977.869258] [0.000000] Waiting for service /gazebo/spawn_urdf_model
[INFO] [WallTime: 1509715977.872528] [0.000000] Calling service /gazebo/spawn_urdf_model
[INFO] [WallTime: 1509715978.023507] [0.128000] Spawn status: SpawnModel: Successfully spawned model
[ INFO] [1509715978.064116405, 0.128000000]: Physics dynamic reconfigure ready.
[ INFO] [1509715978.200640016, 0.128000000]: Loading gazebo_ros_control plugin
[ INFO] [1509715978.200757322, 0.128000000]: Starting gazebo_ros_control plugin in namespace: /
[ INFO] [1509715978.201972037, 0.128000000]: gazebo_ros_control plugin is waiting for model URDF in parameter [robot_description] on the ROS param server.
[spawn_urdf-4] process has finished cleanly
log file: /home/phil/.ros/log/803f8d72-c09b-11e7-97bf-080027c0668a/spawn_urdf-4*.log

Msg Connected to gazebo master @ http://127.0.0.1:11345
Msg Publicized address: 10.0.2.15
[ERROR] [1509715978.376213190, 0.128000000]: This robot has a joint named "simple_gripper_right_driver_joint" which is not in the gazebo model.
[FATAL] [1509715978.376320815, 0.128000000]: Could not initialize robot simulation interface
Error [Param.cc:181] Unable to set value [1,0471975511965976] for key[horizontal_fov]
Error [Param.cc:181] Unable to set value [0,100000001] for key[near]

And it looks like this:
zoom

So far I have not been able to identify the problem. So any help is appreciated, from @carlosjoserg or anyone that has an idea. Maybe you found a solution, @Wonchul ?

This is the myrobot.launch:
<launch>
  <!-- We resume the logic in empty_world.launch, changing only the name of the world to be launched -->
  <include file="$(find gazebo_ros)/launch/empty_world.launch">
    <arg name="world_name" value="$(find myrobot_gazebo)/worlds/myrobot.world"/>
    <arg name="paused" value="false"/>    
    <!-- more default parameters can be changed here -->
  </include>

<!-- Convert an xacro and put on parameter server -->
  <param name="robot_description" command="$(find xacro)/xacro.py $(find myrobot_description)/urdf/join_macro.xacro" />

<!-- Spawn a robot into Gazebo -->
  <node name="spawn_urdf" pkg="gazebo_ros" type="spawn_model" args="-param robot_description -urdf -model myrobot" respawn="false" output="screen" />
</launch>

And this is the join_macro.xacro
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<robot xmlns:xacro="http://ros.org/wiki/xacro"
       name="ur5" >

<!-- THE ROBOT -->
	<link name="world" />

<xacro:include filename="$(find ur_description)/urdf/ur5.urdf.xacro" />
		<parent link="world" />
		<child link = "simple_arm_base_link" />
	</joint>
	<xacro:ur5_robot prefix="simple_arm_" joint_limited="false"/>

<xacro:include filename="$(find robotiq_2f_model)/model/robotiq_2f_85.urdf.xacro" />
	<xacro:robotiq_2f_85 name="simple_gripper" parent="simple_arm_tool0" precise_collision="false" adaptive_transmission="false" with_pads="true">
		<origin xyz="0 0 0" rpy="0 0 1.5708" />
	</xacro:robotiq_2f_85>

<gazebo>
	  <plugin name="gazebo_ros_control" filename="libgazebo_ros_control.so">	   
	  </plugin>
	</gazebo>

</robot>

carlosjoserg