Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
SebastienSebastien Posts: 219 Handy
Hi pros,
we have a client who has to setup a TCP where the Z value is 650mm. When we try to enter that value in the TCP screen we get an error saying that it is out of range (-500mm to +500mm). How could we work around this?

Would it work is we use the script function set_tcp()?

@Stefan_Stubgaard maybe you can help on this?

Comments

• matthewd92matthewd92 Posts: 939Founding Pro, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers Handy
    My understanding is that is outside the acceptable offset of the robot per the specifications.  You could try using the script function but I believe it still will not work correctly. The other thing you could do is set it to 500mm and then just teach all the points. Unless they need to manually rotate around the TCP. I'd be nervous if the end effector has any considerable mass doing this though if you need to move fast as the loads on the robot possibly won't be calculated correctly and could lead to faulting. 
  • SebastienSebastien Posts: 219 Handy
    @matthewd92
    TCP is virtual in this case, like for a camera for example. We would need to rotate around the TCP.
    We will see what we find! @Stefan_Stubgaard any tips?

• matthewd92matthewd92 Posts: 939Founding Pro, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers Handy
    @Sebastien I happened to be working on a program on a UR3 and so tried using the script call, it didn't error out until it tried to make a move that I couldn't find a solution for, obviously thats a bit big for a UR3 potentially....I was able to go to the move screen though and move it around that TCP so it appears to work.
  • @Sebastien as @matthewd92 has confirmed, it is possible to run with higher TCP offsets than the max value that can be inputted, if you use script instead.

What is essential is to not exceed the max. allowed CoG (Center of Gravity) value, which defines the distance from center of tool flange to center of mass of the attached tool. If exceeded it can cause protective stops when running and worst case lead to mechanical defect. See chapter 4.4 in user manual 3.3 concerning chart of Max allowed payload in relation to CoG.

• SebastienSebastien Posts: 219 Handy
    @Stefan_Stubgaard
    thanks for the tips. As this is a virtual tool like a camera for example, we won't exceed payload CoG values!
    thanks