Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
nithinsandilyanithinsandilya Posts: 4 Apprentice
edited September 2016 in Programming
WHAT PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES SHOULD A BEGGINER LEARN FOR ROBOTICS?
It means LIST OUT PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES SHOULD A BEGGINER LEARN FROM
HIS UNDERGRADUATION DAYS TO BECOME A ROBOTIC SCIENTIST?

Comments

• Kaleb_RodesKaleb_Rodes Posts: 56Founding Pro, Partner, Beta Tester VIsion 1.1 Program, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers, Beta Tester Camera URCap 1.2.0-beta Handy
    @nithinsandilya I am currently a Senior studying Computer Engineering, and I work hands on with robotic applications everyday. The first programming language I learned at the university level was C++. Any 'Object Orientated' programming languages (Java, Python, C++, C#, etc.) are a good start for beginners. Learn to understand the flow and logic of programming in any one language. Then you'll be able to apply that knowledge and see the many similarities in other programming languages. Take a look at flowcharts for Robotics degrees from various Universities and get an idea of what programming classes are offered. Might be able to get a head-start on some of your academics  ;)
    Kaleb Rodes
    Applications Engineer
    Behco
  • matthewd92matthewd92 Posts: 851Founding Pro, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers Handy
    We use nodejs which is server side JavaScript every single day with our robots and find it to be a great language to start with as there is a ton of open source support for the language so lots of examples out there to help. I agree with @Kaleb_Rodes its more important to begin to think how a computer thinks and the flow of logic that is required. At the University level I studied Fortran, yes I'm that old, and C++. Since I've done work in java, node, Visual Basic and a little python and once you learn how to program it's just a matter of learning the specific syntax that is used.