Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
Robotiq_CustomerRobotiq_Customer Posts: 123 Apprentice

Hello,

I am working with a customer who is using the older version of the 85 two finger gripper. They are using it on an Epson robot so they had to get a custom adapter plate.

Would the new gripper work the same way? Is there a custom adapter plate that needs to be purchased in order for the gripper to work on an Epson robot?

Also, how does the cabling work now? I see that the cable doesn't have a quick disconnect at the gripper anymore and the cable goes straight into the gripper. The customer was using a 90 degree cable with their previous gripper, would they need a 90 degree cable with the new design? Does the cable run into the gripper in a specific spot, and if so is there a drawing that shows this?

My last question is if their are any other drawings of the fingertips other than the ones you can find in the instruction manual?

Best Answers

Comments

• Robotiq_CustomerRobotiq_Customer Posts: 123 Apprentice

I'm working on getting the part number of the robot now. They are looking for drawings of the fingertips because they want to replicate the mounting location of the existing fingertips and make their own custom designs.
    Thanks,

• Etienne_SamsonEtienne_Samson Posts: 416Beta Tester Beetle, Wrist Camera URCap 1.3.0, Vacuum Beta tester Handy

What they need is in the manual, the fingertips are held by those two M3 SHCS clearance, alignement is done with the 3 mm dowel pin and the bottom plane

Etienne Samson
    Technical Support Director
    +1 418-380-2788 ext. 207
    [email protected]

Awesome,
    Thanks Etienne. So the robot they are looking to mount the new gripper to is a Epson RS-351 Hanging Scara robot. Is there a specific coupling that is needed or are they going to need to use the blank coupling and make it custom?

• Etienne_SamsonEtienne_Samson Posts: 416Beta Tester Beetle, Wrist Camera URCap 1.3.0, Vacuum Beta tester Handy

I don't have this one in my bolt pattern list. Can you send the drawings ?

Etienne Samson
    +1 418-380-2788 ext. 207
    [email protected]

I was told that the robot that the old gripper is attached to needed to have a custom bolt pattern created for them so they ordered a blank coupling and then made it out of that. Would it be safe to assume that the same thing will need to be done this time as well? The original application used an Epson robot as well.
    Thanks,

We better double check with the drawings, the new 2-Finger Gripper as electronic integrated in the coupling so they cannot machine it the same way as the previous one. Once we get that we will tell you if you can use one we already designed or a blank.

Etienne Samson
    +1 418-380-2788 ext. 207
    [email protected]

Etienne,
    That works for me. I'll get the information from Swagelok and get that over to you guys as soon as possible. The guy inquiring about the gripper is actually out of the office until next week so it might be a little bit before I get that back to you.
    Thanks again for the help,

You have different options:

1. Use the clamp that they are using with the old gripper and machine the custom bolt pattern in a blank coupling (see http://support.robotiq.com/display/2FIM/6.1.1+Couplings). It is better to give us this specific pattern that they want to machine in order to verify that they have the space required in the coupling.

2. Use the clamp that they are using with the old gripper, use a standard coupling (see http://support.robotiq.com/display/2FIM/Coupling+for+ISO+9409-1-50-4-M6 and following) and machine the custom bolt pattern in a blank adapter plate. This way, you are sure that you can machine any bolt pattern, except the special cases where the standard bolt pattern and the one to be machined are closed one to another. Hence, it is better to give us this specific pattern that they want to machine in order to verify that the standard coupling to be used is the correct one.

3. Use a standard coupling (see http://support.robotiq.com/display/2FIM/Coupling+for+ISO+9409-1-50-4-M6 and following) and machine a new clamp to attach to it.

4. Use the optional clamp sold by Epson (http://robots.epson.com/product-detail/155) and machine a new coupling for this one.

Best regards,

Etienne Samson
    +1 418-380-2788 ext. 207
    [email protected]

Thanks for the help, I will let Swagelok know these choices and let you guys know the route they decide on going.
    Thanks again,

Awesome!
    Thanks for all the help. Not sure if this would be a question for you or Nicolas but the customer was wondering if there would be an issue with them wanting to terminate the gripper cable at the 15-pin d-sub at the base of the robot and so they can utilize the internal wiring?
    Thanks,

Hi !
    I'm also posting here additional information on the coupling http://support.robotiq.com/display/2FIM/Coupling+for+ISO+9409-1-31.5-4-M5

As far as the electrical wires in the S5, it has normally 16 wires rated at 30V and 2.5A. As long as they are doing the proper wiring to connect to our controller, they can use these. From the robot base, they will need to properly assigned the wires used with the gripper and connect to the controller as per the following electrical diagram http://support.robotiq.com/display/RUC/3.5.1+Power+connection

We do not provide any connectors for the robot.

Etienne Samson
    +1 418-380-2788 ext. 207
    [email protected]

Thanks again