Home Programming

Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
dluhoskodluhosko Posts: 1 Recruit
Dear All,

I am a begginer in UR. Therefore I am sorry for the "stupid" question.

I would like to ask you, if there is a possibility to edit the program of the robot from PC (connected to the UR controller by ethernet cable). Is there any PC software, which I would connect to the robot and edit the code in the robot?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards
Viktor

Comments

• chaseFearingchaseFearing Posts: 3 Apprentice
    Hi Viktor,

The robot is designed to be programmed via the Teach Pendant but there are a couple options you can consider.
    1. Plug in a keyboard, mouse, and monitor directly to the UR controller to create a desktop programming experience
    2. Investigate VNC options for panel viewing the robot from a remotely connected PC. I would suggest searching the forums for this, or you could use a UR+ product like CobotVNC
    If you are implying that you would like the PC to control the robot, then I would recommend you look into the Dashboard Server
  • jelmsjelms Posts: 34 Handy
    Hi @dluhosko,

There are several options. You can use the UR simulator to edit and work out any syntax issues. This is often faster than actually using a real controller. You can transfer to the controller with a USB drive or using the network.

For a little more advanced, you can read the script programming manual. You can write scripts and send them to a robot of the command port.

You can also ssh into the controller for advanced use cases. I have read about using VNC but not sure how stable it is. See this thread for example.

Best of luck and feel free to ask more questions!
    Jeff
  • CedricundertCedricundert Posts: 7 Apprentice
    Hello Viktor,
    If you want to use the UR offline simulator and your PC runs on Windows, so you dont have Linux Computer, you need a Virtual machine on your Pc. I also just recently started programming and Im using this as a way to program during the time the robot runs a program. But be aware that to efficiently use the Offline simulator you should have a way to load existing programs on your VM (virtual machine). The way I did this was with a shared folder. If you're also gonna do it this way you should know that it was literally impossible to set up such a shared folder with the virtual Box program from Oracle, so I'd recommend another program. I am saying this because it cost me a lot of nerves and I dont want you to run into the same problems, just because that program is free. I hope this helps you and best of Luck!
    Cedric