Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
MatthiasMayrMatthiasMayr Posts: 4 Apprentice
Hi!

There are posts that suggest that the 3 finger hand can be simulated in Gazebo [1].
However if I start the shipped launch file
mon launch robotiq_3f_gripper_articulated_gazebo robotiq_gripper_empty_world.launch
I only get empty world in Gazebo with an non-moving hand. I am missing the step where I can control the hand in any way.
The only additional topic I get is 

/robotiq_hands/left_hand/joint_states
but it also doesn't publish anything.
According to the Atlas tutorial it looks like there should be additional nodes for the state and commands [2].

What am I missing? I can't find additional executables or launch files in the Gazebo packages.

Technical details:
This is with Ubuntu 18.04, melodic and Gazebo 9.0. I cloned the ros-industrial/robotiq repo today.

Comments

• romyalromyal Posts: 5 Apprentice
    edited September 27
    Hi MatthiasMayr,

Good question!

Did you launch all the files in the Robotiq_3f_gripper package? Please see attached screenshots of what you need. You can access these files here: http://wiki.ros.org/robotiq.
    You can also find installation procedures here: https://github.com/ros-industrial/robotiq.

Keep us updated if any progress comes up :) !

• MatthiasMayrMatthiasMayr Posts: 4 Apprentice
    edited October 17
    Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions in the ROS wiki to work with the actual gripper we have. That worked well and was straight forward to do.

It would be great if the documentation would feature, how to actuate the gripper in simulation. It is neither mentioned in the ROS wiki nor in the ros-industrial repository.

I am also unsure what you mean by "Did you launch all the files in the Robotiq_3f_gripper package?" The only other launch files there existing in the repository are either already included in the "robotiq_gripper_empty_world.launch" or seem to be the communication launch files ("robotiq_3f_gripper_can.launch" and "robotiq_3f_gripper_ethercat.launch")

Thanks for your reply. I followed the instructions you mentioned to get the real gripper to work.

I haven't found instructions to use it in simulation though, neither in the ros-industrial repo nor on the ROS wiki pages. It seems that there are people out there who made it work, but I haven't found instructions from anyone.

I am unsure what you mean by "Did you launch all the files in the Robotiq_3f_gripper package?". The only other launch files I can find are either already included by the
    robotiq_3f_gripper_articulated_gazebo robotiq_gripper_empty_world.launch
    that I launched or they are for real communication like "robotiq_3f_gripper_can.launch" and "robotiq_3f_gripper_ethercat.launch".

• bcastetsbcastets Posts: 111Vacuum Beta tester Handy
    Dear  MatthiasMayr,

At the moment we have no instruction to simulate our gripper on Gazebo.
    I think some persons did it but we don t have instruction from our side.
    Maybe someone from the community will be able to share its experience.
    Hm, that's a bit disappointing taking into account that ROS support is explicitly advertised:

Here are the different packages which allow you to control the 3-Finger Gripper and simulate it using the Gazebo simulator which is commonly used with ROS:

• Articulated Gazebo (robotiq_3f_gripper_articulated_gazebo & plugins) — Loads up the articulated model of the gripper into an empty Gazebo simulation.
    [...]

With the new package, you can really get a grip on the functionalities of the 3-Finger Gripper!

• bcastetsbcastets Posts: 111Vacuum Beta tester Handy
    Sorry indeed we have some tool for that.
    I recommend you send your question to [email protected] the person in charge will answer your questions.