Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
Erik_CornelsenErik_Cornelsen Posts: 16 Apprentice
hi all, 

What are the fastest cycle times you have seen in collaborative robotics applications?
Is it possible to achieve for example a cycle in the order of few seconds?

Thanks, 
Erik 

Best Answer

Comments

• LoïcLoïc Posts: 22 Handy
    It depends on what you're calling "collaborative robotics applications".
    I have several applications where I reach almost the same cycle time as Matthew, but there is no interactions between the cobots and the humans.

I have one application where there is a mutual zone. Someone place the parts in a specific position and when the area is free the cobot come to take the different parts and place the finished product. This application is quite complex and the cycle time is around 25s.

But I have no feedback about an application with a real interaction between human and cobot. For this kind of application, the risk analysis will tell you what to do and cycle time should be your last worry. And for the moment, I have no client who were interested in this kind of application...
  • matthewd92matthewd92 Posts: 927Founding Pro, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers Handy
    I agree with @Loïc in that those times are not “collaborative” as in human/robot interaction and they are also all fully behind safety systems, generally laser area scanners.

The applications where we are having human robot cooperation the cycle times are much slower and the tasks can be complex or just long. One example is the human takes about 30 seconds to fixture 5 pieces and then the robot installs over 100 rivets, total cycle time is just under 9 minutes. Each rivet though averages less than 6 seconds taking away a mundane task from the human and performing that task faster than the human does on average by a considerable amount. 
  • Erik_CornelsenErik_Cornelsen Posts: 16 Apprentice
    Thanks for the replies @matthewd92 ; and @Loïc. I think you covered the extreme cases of collaborative robotics applications, the one with Power/Force limiting and the other with safety-rated monitored stop. It also helped us to frame some cycle times for real case applications.