DoF - a Robotiq Community
Warning sign
The Dof Community was shut down in June 2023. This is a read-only archive.
If you have questions about Robotiq products please reach our support team.
mikebeauchemin

Hi pros,

I 've prepared a proof of concept for a customer.  The application goal was to detect M8 hexagonal nuts and assembled it with a cap screw, both with chrome finish. The parts are about to be assembled using the 2F85 gripper, the FT300 using the path recording function and finally, the wrist camera for detecting the parts laying down on a stopped conveyor. 

The first challenge I've faced is the detection of the small nut on the table.  I've used two different camera position for the snapshot position and the calibration position as explained in the following DoF discussion:   http://dof.robotiq.com/discussion/429/how-to-define-a-snapshot-position

The second challenge was to use a jig to locate & maintain the nut while doing the assembly.  As you will see, because of tight tolerances of our jig, we had to add an extra movement in the program to ensure that the nut was inserted in the jig at the proper depth position each time.

The third challenge was using another jig to maintain the part in the good orientation while changing the gripping from the shank to the hexagonal head to enable a simple screwing movement. My suggestion on this, learned with experience, would be the use of a better jig, with chamfers all around especially in the area where the threaded cap screw shank is inserted.  The goal is to avoid the screw to be disoriented while going down.

Have you faced similar application on your end?  How did you manage it?  What would you've done differently than us?

Please find below, the final application video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQMcbvuUgmQ&feature=youtu.be

Please have a look at the program created:

Program

Robot Program
     MoveJ
       Snapshot_Position
       Gripper Move 60%
     Camera Locate
       MoveL
         Nut_Approach
         Nut_Pick