Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
Tyler_BerrymanTyler_Berryman Posts: 122Beta Tester Beetle, Wrist Camera URCap 1.3.0 Handy
edited November 2016 in Robotiq Products
Hi guys,

I was wondering if I have to run the calib_tool.urp file to calibrate the sensor after I reset the robot? Or is the calibration saved in the installation file?
Tyler Berryman
Robotiq Integration Coach
[email protected]
1-418-380-2788, option 3

Comments

• Annick_MottardAnnick_Mottard Posts: 146Beta Tester Beetle, Wrist Camera URCap 1.3.0 Handy
    @Tyler_Berryman when you perform the calibration using the calib_tool.urp program, the calibration is actually saved within the sensor. Therefore, when you reset the robot, you do not need to do the calibration over again. 

You need to perform the calibration once each time you mount the sensor on a robot arm. The screws used to fix it may induce stress that can affect the signal. The calibration will compensate for those effects. You can also perform it once each time you change the end effector mounted on the sensor, since the calibration also compensate for an added mass and a different center of mass. 

Annick Mottard
    Product Expert
    Robotiq
    [email protected] 
  • SebastienSebastien Posts: 219 Handy
    @Annick_Mottard
    I was just doing the calibration on my sensor. You know what would be nice. In the calibration program we are asked to mode the robot such that the sensors axis are lined up in specific directions. First thing that came to my mind was to make it roughly with the freedrive and then use the ACTIVE Drive feature to automatically set the robot perpendicular to required position. However active drive is not available when running this program.

Anyway you could make this available?

• Etienne_SamsonEtienne_Samson Posts: 418Beta Tester Beetle, Wrist Camera URCap 1.3.0, Vacuum Beta tester Handy
    @Sebastien there are a few blockers, first the ActiveDrive cannot be used when running a program, nothing we can do with that. The ActiveDrive is a program itself and you cannot run two programs at the same time.

Then there is a logic problem. The ActiveDrive uses the FT-Sensor signal to work, thus you could not use it before the FT-Sensor calibration is done. ActiveDrive goes crazy when you try to run it without proper calibration since the Sensor signal will be totally off.
    Etienne Samson
    Technical Support Director
    +1 418-380-2788 ext. 207
    [email protected]