Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
antbivantbiv Posts: 1 Recruit
I need to have in ROS Gazebo and MoveIt an UR5 robot who has the Robotiq 2 Finger Gripper(85) in the simulation models. At the moment all I have is the UR5 model only for simulations. How do I add the gripper to this model

Comments

• carlosjosergcarlosjoserg Posts: 18 Handy
    Hi @antbiv

So far, I haven't seen any custom implementation of the 2 Finger Gripper in Gazebo, and moreover, in the ROS-i repos, I couldn't find and URDF of the new gripper model 2f-85. So I created one that you can find it in our fork&branch: https://github.com/beta-robots/robotiq/tree/new_2_finger_models/robotiq_2f_model   (The idea is to contribute it back to the ROS-i repos after I test it more).

If you don't need the adaptivity-mode of the gripper in simulation (which is not easy, btw), then you can use the gazebo_ros_control plugin. The plugin works better with one single instance of an URDF. So my suggestion is for you to assembly one single URDF with UR5+Robotiq 2F-85, and then add the plugin to that. Something like:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <robot xmlns:xacro="http://ros.org/wiki/xacro" name="assembled_robot">

<!-- THE ROBOT -->
    	<link name="world" />

<!-- UR from ROS-i repos -->
    	<xacro:include filename="$(find ur_description)/urdf/ur10.urdf.xacro" />
    	<joint name="world_joint" type="fixed">
    		<parent link="world" />
    		<child link = "simple_arm_base_link" />
    		<origin xyz="0.0 0.0 0.0" rpy="0.0 0.0 0.0" />
    	</joint>
    	<xacro:ur10_robot prefix="simple_arm_" joint_limited="false" precise_collision="false"/>

<!-- Robotiq from Beta Robots fork-->
    	<xacro:include filename="$(find robotiq_2f_model)/model/robotiq_2f_85.urdf.xacro" />
    	<xacro:robotiq_2f_85 name="simple_gripper" parent="simple_arm_tool0" precise_collision="false" adaptive_transmission="false">
    		<origin xyz="0 0 0" rpy="0 0 1.5708" />
    	</xacro:robotiq_2f_85>

<!-- Plugin -->
    	<plugin name="ros_control" filename="libgazebo_ros_control.so" />

</robot>

Then you need to configure, load and start any compatible ros-controller, as you'd normally do with a real robot or UR5 you say you have. If you need further details on how to do that, let me know.

Best,
    Carlos