DoF - a Robotiq Community
Warning sign
The Dof Community was shut down in June 2023. This is a read-only archive.
If you have questions about Robotiq products please reach our support team.
Catherine_Bernier

I wanted to test teaching a high part to the vision system to see its limitations.

I taught this can which is very different than the recommended 1:1 height and width.

zoom

First, I brought the snapshot position high enough for the can. This helped the part recognition process since the proportion of the snapshot position and the height of the can made sense.

zoom

For tall parts, we will use a picture of the top of the part to assure the perspective have no impact on the recognition. Considering the picture has little or no width, it will have to be taught at the same height than the top of the can. This will also increase the precision in the location of the part.

That being said, I had to calibrate the camera by positioning the calibration board at the same height than the top of the can. When elevating the calibration board, you must make sure the board is perfectly flat. Failure to do so can add imprecision on the robot position relative to the located part.

Doing this procedure, a simple CAD or drawing can be used to teach the part.

In brief:

• Use a picture, CAD or drawing of the top of the tall part you want to teach.

• Position the calibration board at the same height than the top of the object.

• Make sure the board is perfectly flat or imprecisions will occur.

• Teach the picture, CAD or drawing just like usual again at the same height of the calibration board.

Did you ever have problems when teaching a high part? Do you need help with unspecified parts with your Robotiq Camera?