DoF - a Robotiq Community
Warning sign
The Dof Community was shut down in June 2023. This is a read-only archive.
If you have questions about Robotiq products please reach our support team.
June

Tutorial using  "robotiq_c_model_control" was uploaded here "http://dof.robotiq.com/discussion/199/ros-package-tutorial-for-the-2-finger".

I have a trouble on connecting the 2-finger gripper while following this tutorial.

After the command below is executed, the LED turns on the blue. But the LED becomes red again soon.

$ rosrun robotiq_c_model_control CModelRtuNode.py /dev/ttyUSB0

In my case, the command below is executed.

$ rosrun robotiq_c_model_control CModelRtuNode.py /dev/ttyACM0

How can I solve this problem?

I have a error message below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/home/user/catkin_ws/src/robotiq/robotiq_c_model_control/nodes/CModelRtuNode.py:65: SyntaxWarning: The publisher should be created with an explicit keyword argument 'queue_size'. Please see http://wiki.ros.org/rospy/Overview/Publishers%20and%20Subscribers for more information.
  pub = rospy.Publisher('CModelRobotInput', inputMsg.CModel_robot_input)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/user/catkin_ws/src/robotiq/robotiq_c_model_control/nodes/CModelRtuNode.py", line 89, in <module>
    mainLoop(sys.argv[1])
  File "/home/user/catkin_ws/src/robotiq/robotiq_c_model_control/nodes/CModelRtuNode.py", line 82, in mainLoop
    gripper.sendCommand()
  File "/home/user/catkin_ws/src/robotiq/robotiq_c_model_control/src/robotiq_c_model_control/baseCModel.py", line 101, in sendCommand
    self.client.sendCommand(self.message)
  File "/home/user/catkin_ws/src/robotiq/robotiq_modbus_rtu/src/robotiq_modbus_rtu/comModbusRtu.py", line 80, in sendCommand
    self.client.write_registers(0x03E8, message, unit=0x0009)
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pymodbus/client/common.py", line 98, in write_registers
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pymodbus/client/sync.py", line 83, in execute
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pymodbus/transaction.py", line 64, in execute
  File "build/bdist.linux-i686/egg/pymodbus/client/sync.py", line 354, in _recv
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 460, in read
    raise SerialException('device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected?)')
serial.serialutil.SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected?)

carlosjoserg

Welcome @Etienne_Samson !

Oh, I had't seen @Laurie 's post: http://dof.robotiq.com/discussion/199/ros-package-tutorial-for-the-2-finger I misread and thought @June was referring to the 
ROS wiki tutorials.

Anyway, I see that the config file for the USB driver is also missing, which was necessary for me, at least for the new 85mm model. Note that, the bash script I mention in the github issue to generate this config file comes from the USB driver used in the URCaps package by Robotiq itself, which in fact runs in a Debian machine.

@Laurie  feel free to include to the tutorial any additional step I commented on the github issue.

@June forgot to ask to be sure as well: could you describe more your system, Linux and ROS distro, etc.? are you using the USB adapter from Robotiq? Source or binary packages? Now that I re-read it seems weird that the system chooses ttyACM* over ttyUSB* for you

Best