Discussion

Left ArrowBack to discussions page
SebastienSebastien Posts: 201 Handy
edited September 2016 in General
@dhenry , I recently worked on a CAD model for a UR5 robot on the public onShape community. I used the step file from Universal Robot's website and did all the mating. I was going to share this here but I don't know what is the best way to do this. Can you share the link to the file here?

Best Answers

Comments

• matthewd92matthewd92 Posts: 436Founding Pro, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers Handy
    We have been using OnShape for over a year now, absolutely love it, even if there are still features that I would like to see.

Here is a view of the Robotiq model 85 that we use in our customer models. This is fully constrained to perform like a parallel gripper in this model.  

Model 85 OnShape CAD file

One of the features that I wish OnShape had is the ability to use variables in constraints so that you can move to precise locations, that would be great with the UR models that we use so that we could actually give the joints their angles and see where it goes in relation to the model.

@dhenry maybe we can generate some unique feature requests out of this group since we generally have some strange kinematic issues when dealing with robots.

Are there any other OnShape users on here other than @Sebastien and ourselves?

• dhenrydhenry Posts: 2 Recruit
    @matthewd92  Sure, please share any needed feature requests.  We would love to see more Onshape Users building and laying out robotics.
  • matthewd92matthewd92 Posts: 436Founding Pro, Tactile Sensor Beta Testers Handy
    A couple things that pop straight out are the ability to use variables in constraints, this would allow you to drive rotation and such similar to what we do with the robot by assigning a angle of rotation to the joint.

Ability to have angles that are negative on the rotation constraint.  Sometimes, it would be faster to be able to go a few degrees before zero rather than rotate the constraint 90 degrees and then calculate what you now need for the starting angle.

I will try to keep a list of ideas as we are working on cell layouts.  Here is the layout for our newest worker that we are building (still have a lot of mechanical design to complete, this was a concept layout for the customer so they could make sure they had the right footprint)  We have the robot fully constrained so that we can drag it around to the various pieces of equipment and check fit and reach.

• mathbelangermathbelanger Posts: 20 Crew
    @matthewd92 I really like the robot stand! Have you planned a place for the controller? I am guessing the robot will be mobile, if you can carry the controller and the robot at the same time you'll save time. 

PS have you look for stability and how to fix it on a given spot?

Thx
    Regards

Mathieu Bélanger-Barrette Jr. Eng. / ing. jr

Production Engineer

mbb@robotiq.com

edited September 2016
    @mathbelanger We actually attach it directly to the stand, we use a piece of 8020 attached to the stand and then bolt the included mounting bracket onto that.  It mounts very low on the stand to keep the CG low.  This is the stand that we deploy with any of our non-table mounted robots whether they are mobile or not as it makes maintaining the cell easier for all parties since we can roll it out of the way if needed.  We use a smaller version of it (4" column instead of 6") as our demo stand that we carry with us.  It has a quick disconnect interface for quickly sliding the robot on and off for traveling (we designed that as well, it does not guarantee precision just ease of reassembly at the car).

To lock them into place we have 4 large angle brackets that bolt to the floor and then to the frame.  In the floor we place 1/2" female thread inserts into the concrete and then bolt the robot to these 4 mounting points.  So far we have not had any issues relocating a robot using this method.

The casters are mounted that way so that the legs are only 1/2" off of the ground keeping the CG very low
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 9Partner Apprentice
    edited January 9
    I guess I need to start using Onshape now. I'm impressed over the features and the easy user interface.

@matthewd92 : Would you like to share the two finger gripper model 85 with me? Now I only get read only view. It will be appreciated.

Daniel said:
    I guess I need to start using Onshape now. I'm impressed over the features and the easy user interface.

@matthewd92 : Would you like to share the two finger gripper model 85 with me? Now I only get read only view. It will be appreciated.

@Daniel if you private message me with your email address I can add you.
    edited January 9
    @Daniel and everyone else, I went ahead and made this a public document so that you should now be able to copy it or link it to your models directly from this model.

One thing that is missing from the Robotiq supplied models is the actual base plate that bolts to the robot.  I will try to get something modeled up in the next couple of days to allow this to more easily drop onto the robot.

EDIT:  I had a little time to spare this morning and a base assembly lying on the desk so I went ahead and quickly modeled up the interface to the robot.  The gripper assembly should now be complete and easier to drop onto the tool flange of the robot.
  • DanielDaniel Posts: 9Partner Apprentice
    Thank you for sharing and for the updated model!